2020 is a year no one will ever forget and while most of us may not want to look back, it’s important to reflect on what happened, what we can learn and what was accomplished. As soon as the pandemic hit the province, the ODA took action to help guide you through the myriad of challenges our profession faced. Here’s a brief overview:
- ODA was in the news 43 of 52 weeks in 2020 with over 900 TV, radio, print and online mentions, mostly on pandemic related stories letting people know about PPE shortages, dental emergencies and the safety of and need for dental care.
- To address the PPE supply challenge, the ODA lobbied the government to get dentists access to provincial PPE stockpiles and also partnered with four companies to connect you with safe and reliable PPE at competitive prices.
- We created 50 new member resources ranging from suggested fee guide codes and employment issues to practice and finance guidance during the pandemic.
- The Pandemic Recovery Toolkit, now in its sixth edition, has been extremely successful in helping dentists stay on track in this climate.
- The ODA lobbied the province to agree dentists in hospital settings should have access to similar income supports physicians get.
- An ad campaign was launched in the fall across the province to let the public know what dentists are doing to provide safe dental care during the pandemic.
Advocacy and media outreach is well underway in 2021 as we push for dentists and their teams to get early access to COVID-19 vaccines. A news release went out on January 6 and has received dozens of media mentions across the province.
Along with working on the latest edition of the Return to Practice Toolkit, we’re also keeping lines of communication open with the RCDSO and provincial government so we can help you understand the changing rules and requirements throughout this pandemic.
Even though circumstances may have changed, there will be an Oral Health Month campaign! The ODA will be emailing members as soon as the creative assets are ready to share. And also keep an eye out on your inbox for the latest on the virtual ASM coming May 6-8, and a brand new member website this year!
Wishing you great health,
Dr. Lisa Bentley
HPDA Board Liaison